Re: My (very brief) Love Affair with SuSE 10.1

  • Subject: Re: My (very brief) Love Affair with SuSE 10.1
  • From: M <ihatespam.0.a101888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 10:52:54 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
William Poaster wrote:

> On Sat, 20 May 2006 18:25:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ M ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 18:22 \__

>>> I have never yet installed Susse so to date I have *no* first hand
>>> experience of it, however I did happen to come across this:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1035592#post1035592
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> As most, I was a bit anticipated with RPM mechanism it self. It is a bit
>>> fragile compared to debian's. So my problem was about Yast. Many people
>>> in Suse community are unhappy about Yast. Instead they offer alternative
>>> solutions like apt or smart. I personally found Yast very slow and
>>> buggy. Synaptic is like a breeze compared to it. So you see, default
>>> built in package manager is crap in Suse. Also repositories are a bit
>>> problem. Some packages at some mirrors are broken. And you have to deal
>>> with directory names for adding new repositories. Even manually dealing
>>> with source file in ubuntu is much better Thirdly, Novel is less
>>> responsive than ubuntu in adding most recent packages.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> So for those of you with *first* hand experience what do you make of
>>> this?
>>>
>>> He seems to suggest that he is not alone in his feelings. Interesting
>>> how for a lot of people, Synaptic does seem to keep coming out on top.
>>
>> In SuSE 10.1 (or SUSE, as Novell try to rename it), YaST has become
>> secondary. I can't recall the name of the other package manager, neither
>> can I recall if I read this in the mailing lists or the newsgroups.
>> Either way, YaST appears to be a victim of neglect (it will continue to
>> work nonetheless).
>
> Zen.  Though I have SMART configured to do package installation, &
> updating. It will use YUM, APT & SUSE YaST2 repositories. It works in a
> similar way to APT.
> http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Smart
>

>> PS - I loved Synaptic every time I used it. I can't say the same about
>> YOU and YaST2 package management. Warnings, dependencies and CD's
>> required. That said, I tried installing new software on an old
>> distribution with a 2.4.x kernel.

Thanks guys :-)

Sounds to me like the first job after installing Susse is to to install
Smart. With Kubuntu the first thing I do is install Synaptic, as I still
don't trust Adept. I managed to get Adept to go into some infinite loop
when installing a number of packages, and as I don't want to break my
system so I have tended to give Adept a wide berth. Hopefully Adept will
improve.

<snip>

--
Regards,