Re: [News] Dell Offers Mac Drivers

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 31 May 2006 02:17:53 +0100
<2719199.YPYPFfCcs3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dell support sites lists Mac OS notebook downloads
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Boy has this one got people pondering the possibilities. Dell's support
> | site for its Latitude X1 "ultra-portable" notebook includes "Apple Mac OS"
> | among the list of operating systems for which users can download drivers
> | and utilities.
> `----
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/30/dell_apple_mac_os_download/
>
> And since Dell already sells Linux...

Dell plays some weird games here.

The Linux workstations can be reached in two clicks (Small Business,
then a fairly small area below "In the Office" and "On the Road", which
isn't that easy to spot.

We now see 380n, 470n, 490n, 670n, 690n.  All of these use Red Hat
Enterprise Linux WS, some with v.4.

Somebody's making money.

Desktops has a "Open-Source Desktop" button which might be a little more
visible -- if one can say a gray circle with DELL in it is visible, but
it's a bit taller than the "Linux Workstations" click earlier.

So we now see three types of desktops -- Dimension, OptiPlex, and Dell
Precision.  Dimension gives us 1100n, 3100n, 5150n.  Optiplex gives one
210Ln, GX520n, GX620n.  All of these "come with FreeDOS disc, ready to
install".  Good if one has a "seeder" unit, ready to download what's
required.  Not so good if this is one's first box.  The good news: all
of these have built-in networking and a CD or DVD drive, so in a pinch
one could go CheapBytes.

(I'll admit to wondering whether FreeDOS has a web browser.
That would at least let somebody with this as their
absolute first PC get started.  There's probably a FreeDOS
version of Lynx running around.)

The Dell Precision Workstations with Linux points to the same page
visited earlier.

I guess it's tolerable, but as always caveat emptor.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.