Re: [News] Linux Standards to Lead the Way

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 16:03 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> | Unfortunately, one of the very things that makes Linux powerful also
>> | makes it vulnerable to the same type of fragmentation that helped to
>> | doom Unix - the open source licenses under which Linux distributions
>> | are created and made available. Happily, there is a remedy to avoid
>> | the end that befell Unix, and that remedy is open standards -
>> | specifically, the Linux Standards Base (LSB). The LSB is now an
>> | ISO/IEC standard, and was created by the Free Standards Group.
>
> There was one big difference with the UNIXen, however -- they were
> expensive.

I thought the same things when I read this. This point was surprisingly
overlooked. Andy is the one who authored a very nice essay on ODF and its
importance only a few weeks ago, so I thought he was definitely worth
another Op/Ed. He remains very optimistic with regards to short term FOSS
adoption.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
  4:10pm  up 32 days 22:42,  8 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.84, 0.83