Re: [News] Ubuntu-ready (pre-installed) Laptops

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 09:34 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:03:05 +0100,
>>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> __/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Monday 29 May 2006 21:35 \__

>>> You can get the same specs for cheaper. It would be extensible too,
>>> unlike that 'lunchbox'. These designs just reminds me of that 'Macs are
>>> Sexy' slogan. So what it all boils down to is this:
>>>
>>> Do you want work to be done effectively or do you seek 'XGL
>>> masturbation', as one guy called it recently?
>>

>> I seek a small format PC, with little or no fan noise, that can run as a
>> media box, with occasional game usage for things like bzflag. Space s an
>> issue, and you do pay a little extra for smaller packages, else a PDA
>> would be a lot less expensive :)
>>

> I'd agree - from a personal perspective, a small form-factor noiseless
> machine (not worried about processor architecture, but must run linux)
> where I can have video & audio playback, tv & radio recording, and so
> on, would be really useful.  I've said it before, but I think the PS3
> might well be the right machine?  The only issue being that I don't
> think it supports PCI devices...
>
> For the 'man in the street', then it's quite true that lights and action
> are far more important than base functionality.  The Japanese
> electronics manufacturers realised this in the 1970s, and destroyed most
> of the European players (or drove them out of the markets) by releasing
> products which were technical inferior, but looked right, and had lots
> of buttons.  Microsoft have been playing the same game with Windows. ...

[partly sarcasm /]

Very true. They added the Windows logo and that context menu buttons. They
revived the somewhat deprecated buttons that were CTRL, ALT, and DELETE.

Additionally, you have the poor and inflexible screen capturing capability,
which is far less trivial than it is in Linux. Import, render a square or
ksnapshot versus PrtScr, open application, then paste, edit to make a
selection and save...

> ... For Linux to conquer the home market, a similar play will be required,
> but the XGL approach might be enough to do it.  It's a price/prettiness
> ratio, in the same way that price/performance determines business
> purchases.  And those of the cognisant.

Good point. Your business world analogies are always intersting. Like the one
with exit barriers (lockins)...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
 12:55pm  up 32 days 19:27,  8 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.36, 0.24