Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip Without Gates

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip Without Gates
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 00:56:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Saturday 27 May 2006 15:44 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <3401491.AyBuQCLCAX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> Microsoft Isn't Run by Bill Gates Anymore
>
> But he's the chief SW architect at MS. Now that's a joke except for
> the shareholders of course. What does Gates know about SW design?
> Does anyone wonder why vista is a disaster?

I find it hard to believe that Gates has done something at raw code level in
the past decade or two. Even architecture/design is not his responsibility.
He is a media-facing/E-mail person, I assure you. Allchin reminds him how
bad things are.

,----[ Quote ]
| REDMOND, Wash. ? Jim Allchin, a senior Microsoft Corp. executive,
| walked into Bill Gates?s office here one day in July last year to
| deliver a bombshell about the next generation of Microsoft Windows.
|
| "It's not going to work," Mr. Allchin says he told the Microsoft
| chairman. The new version, code-named Longhorn, was so complex its writers
| would never be able to make it run properly.
|
| The news got even worse: Longhorn was irredeemable because Microsoft
| engineers were building it just as they had always built software.
| Throughout its history, Microsoft had let thousands of programmers each
| produce their own piece of computer code, then stitched it together into
| one sprawling program. Now, Mr. Allchin argued, the jig was up. Microsoft
| needed to start over.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB112743680328349448,00.html?mod=todays_us_page_one

If you can't run it, no wonder you can barely patch the bugger. One Microsoft
employee said in anonymity that he has been testing the "dog" for the past 2
years and he was appalled.

Boy, I love this WSJ story -- a crucial information leak. Will prospective
Vista users actually realise that 60% of the code needs to be re-written and
the O/S was developed for only *months*, not several years? It would be very
damaging, if only they knew....

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E