Re: XGL Live CD - *must see this now*

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 27 May 2006 07:41 \__

> It's amazing, and it's ... now.
>
> Not 20 years in the future, or whenever it is that Vista might be
> arriving, but ... right now. On a live CD no less:
>
> http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060318-181203

Kororaa are in violation with the GPL, you know...

Why compare this to Vista in any way? 'Flip view' is pointless and
transparent title/borders have been available in KDE (even GNOME) for ages.
When Vista is released in 2007 it will manage to match Linux as it were in
2005. They merely play catch-up with Linux and Apple. And not only in terms
of eye candy...

> The screenshots don't do it justice; download, burn and boot, and see it
> for yourself.
>
> I've known about XGL for a while now, but didn't think we'd be at this
> stage so quickly.

With demand come maturity and ease. I can recall the early days when
instructions were simply posted in lengthy, long-winded forum posts.

Then, the Live CD came. Later, SuSE 10.1 came with tight support for nVidia
(released more Linux drivers last week) cards, among others. At present, two
commands get get you up to speed:

,----[ Commands ]
| sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx linux-restricted-modules-386
| sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
`----

It's phasing in very quickly.

http://madpenguin.org/images/reviews/suse101/xglwobble.jpg

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
  9:05am  up 29 days 15:37,  8 users,  load average: 2.10, 1.66, 1.51