Re: Another Rant: Four Reasons Vista Isn't Worth It

  • Subject: Re: Another Rant: Four Reasons Vista Isn't Worth It
  • From: "Dean G." <dguttadauro@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Nov 2006 14:04:47 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mareeba wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > 4 Reasons Why Windows Vista Is Just Not Worth It
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | 1. No new features or speed boost
>
> Lies

The reviews tend to show a performance loss instead of gain, so that
half of the equation is certainly not a lie. As for the features, what
new OS feature does Vista have ? The interface isn't really a feature,
so much as eye candy. Even then, Apple has had all those features for
years, so you can't really call them new. Some people will not even use
the Aero interface as it requires more graphics processing power than
the majority of existing PCs have.

> > | 2. The new interface just gets in the way
>
> In your opinion. Others disagree.

Either way, such things are very subjective. I have seen few, if any,
people say that the eye candy alone is worth the extra cost,
particularly if you have to shell out for a new graphics adapter. Most
people will get Vista only when they buy a new PC and it is
preinstalled.

> > | 3. Security will still be a major problem
>
> Another opinion. We don't know yet as it's not released.

Would you like to place a wager ?

> > | 4. The alternatives are so much better
>
> Yet so few people use them. That should tell you something about the
> suitability of the laternatives for the masses.

The argumentum ad populam isn't very convincing. Twenty years ago
Windows was on only a tiny minority of PCs.

Dean G.