Re: [News] Is Microsoft 'Pulling a Novell' to Combat Apple?

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Friday 10 November 2006 14:38 \__

> Looney Zunes: What does UMG want from Microsoft?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As Microsoft gets ready to launch its iPod-rival Zune next week, it's
> | agreed to pay Universal Music Group a fee - believed to be a dollar
> | per device - to compensate Universal artists.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Why did Microsoft volunteer a payment when it didn't need to?
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Optimists wondered if the UMG deal entitled Zune owners to do more witht
> | heir Universal songs - for example, exchange them more freely between
> | Zune owners.
> |
> | (Again, Microsoft's refusal "to comment on speculation" has only led to
> | more speculation.)
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/09/microsoft_universal_zune_fee/
>

> More of a personal speculation... they might want to impose a Universal
> Studio 'tax' on iTunes/pod users, much as they want to raise the cost of
> Linux. IP/patent/royalties in the case of Linux and piracy/tax in the case
> of Apple. They give tactical precedence, motivating UMG to approach Apple
> with demands.

Someone has interpreted this the same way as me.

,----[ Quote ]
| If Microsoft upsets the apple cart, as it were, setting a precedent that
| says that manufacturers can be held responsible for royalties, and the
| publishers themselves start seeking fees directly
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Universal_Music_to_Get_Cut_of_Zune_Sales/1163092474

They do to Apple the same thing they try to do to Linux. Dirty tactics.

Microsoft To Give Portion of Zune Sales To Universal In Attempt To Hurt Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Today's New York Times notes that Microsoft has
| agreed to share some of the revenues from its upcoming
| Zune music player sales and services with
| Universal Music
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061109/20282_id.html?.v=1

So, essentially, Microsoft raises the cost for /ALL/ the customers just so
that it gets a chance of entering (or staying) in the market. Just like they
do with DRM: punish customers to boost profits. Pretty much as bad as
price-fixing (at the high scale). A Samsung executive was jailed for this
recently, IIRC. There's also Rambus with lockins, price-fixing, and
overcharging... both in the hardware industry, as oppose to medicine where
this corrupt and illegal practice is common.