Re: [News] What the Democrats' win COULD mean for digital rights

  • Subject: Re: [News] What the Democrats' win COULD mean for digital rights
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:28:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Martha Adams ] on Friday 10 November 2006 13:14 \__

http://news.com.com/What+the+Democrats+win+means+for+tech/2100-1028_3-6133833.html

>>>   What the Democrats' win means for tech
>>>
>>>   On a wealth of topics--Net neutrality, digital copyright, merger
>>>   approval, data retention, Internet censorship--a Capitol Hill
>>>   controlled by Democrats should yield a shift in priorities on
>>>   technology-related legislation.
>>>
>>>   <big snip>
>>>
>>>   If Boucher gets the nod as chairman, a broadcast flag becomes far
>>> less
>>>   likely and changes to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's
>>>   "anti-circumvention" sections become politically feasible. "He
>>> would
>>>   be a big boost to our efforts to allow innovation to develop," said
>>>   Art Brodsky of Public Knowledge, an advocacy group that has opposed
>>>   content providers on many digital copyright bills.
>>>
>>>   If Rep. Howard Berman, however, gets the job, the recording
>>> industry
>>>   and motion picture industry will have a staunch ally as
>>> subcommittee
>>>   chairman. Berman, a Hollywood Democrat, has sponsored legislation
>>> in
>>>   the past that would let copyright holders legally hack into
>>>   peer-to-peer networks. (Berman currently is the subcommittee's top
>>>   Democrat, but there's speculation that he'd take a different
>>>   chairmanship.)

> A detail: let's get our words right.  Namely, not "Rights" but the
> reality is *Restrictions*.  I'm not convinced our two-party system
> can produce the good we need.
>
> Because, given only two parties, the Party that is in (Republicans,
> most recently) and the party that is out (Democrats, most
> recently), those business lobbyists who seem these days to
> write current legislations can turn a larger cash flow to the In
> politicians and a smaller cash flow to those currently Out.  Then,
> when change comes as a few days ago, they simply switch their
> cash flows to the opposite spigots -- until change comes again.
> Their objectives remain the same, labels change, reality does not.
> So yesterday's digital restrictions may appear in less apocalyptic
> language tomorrow, but I think that basically, they won't change.
>
> That's why we need *piracy*.  *Piracy works* where the existing
> Washington political system fails.  Badly.
>
> Cheers -- Martha Adams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

Please. It's a gentle request that you repeatedly ignore. You still post
'jeopardy-style'.

For what it's worth, here are some further links that cover the impact of the
election.

Democrat Sweep Good News For Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether the Network Neutrality debate is officially settled amongst
| charged, polarized stakeholders is an issue that will be tabled
| for the moment.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/marketinginsider/wpn-50-20061109DemocratSweepGoodNewsForNetNeutrality.html

Election Spawns New Hope for Tech