Re: [News] New Syllable Operating System Released

  • Subject: Re: [News] New Syllable Operating System Released
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:10:18 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:iY0xE7Y7n1WwvZNSQRRdKumktLk=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Mareeba wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Syllable 0.6.2 released
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.syllable.org/story.php?id=246
>>
>> I'm sure the 3 people that use it are delighted.
>
> Why the pessimistic outlook?
>
> Key features of this open initiative is a more responsive GUI
> than "X", would be well suited for heavy graphics
> applications, desktop publishing, etc.

Heavy graphics apps like heavy graphics subsystems. Syllable is not it.

> It could serve on dedicated graphics oriented systems such as
> Energy Management Control Systems (EMCS) for facilities,
> lighting, and security.

or Linux games consoles : not much power needed for Tux and Bubble
Bobble or whatever the latest hit is. And its fast reboot is even more
handy : god knows how many times the KLM in flight entertainment crashed
on the way to Australia last year.

> It could serve on video and photography editing platforms.

Doubt it : they need real multi desk super duper power. Syllable isnt
it.

> Consider the efficiency of the graphics display, could be used
> on embedded graphical based systems for animation.  Using a

Animation?!? What does that mean? You mean rendering? See above.

> lighter processor and less resources would make it cost
> effective for manufacturing.
>
> OS9 was a lesser used operating system, but because of its
> compactness served well on Motorola 8 and 16 bit processors,
> in engineering and manufacturing real time applications.

Almost none of which had a UI more complicated than 8 LEDs :)

--
One tree to rule them all,
One tree to find them,