Re: [News] Gates Starts Pro-Software Patents Lobbying in Europe

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Robert Newson
<ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:42:22 GMT
<45538529.9080904@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> When companies rewrite the laws outside their own country/ies...
>>
>> Years of deadlock on EU patent bring some new thinking
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | When Bill Gates visits Brussels on Thursday to speak with
>> | government officials, software developers and customers, he
>> | plans to wade into one of Europe's longest-running, most
>> | fruitless debates: the pursuit of a unified patent system.
>
> For once, I'm totally in agreement with him...on the subject of software
> patents, they should be unified to the European standard: ie disallowed...

An interesting contemplation, but I suspect that we're probably looking
at a unification based on the American standard.  China, after all, is
the adversary here, as well as spots such as Peru, maybe Brazil, and
Africa, and the EU isn't exactly the moneymaking powerhouse of its
colonial days (before WWII).

They will probably be cast with the heavies, and, like a stone, the EU
will be stuck to them as well, while the USA, the bright shining bastion
of democracy worldwide (or would be if we didn't do so much [censored]
nation-building and play policeman) will show the way towards total
enlightenment.

After all, Microsoft is an American company, and Bill Gates
is as American as they come: whiny, slightly incompetent,
ruthless businessman without rancor but also with a will
to dominate.  He won't hurt you; he'll happily *squish* you.
No pain, and no future.  But never mind, everyone wants Vista,
don't they?

Well, don't they?

(Hmmm...that's an odd noise.  Sounds like something creaking.
Is that you, Archie?)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random sports event here
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.