Re: Ray Ozzie Admits Office and Vista Must Meet the Web

  • Subject: Re: Ray Ozzie Admits Office and Vista Must Meet the Web
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Nov 2006 08:02:07 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Ozzie: Vista, Office must adapt to Web era
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Ozzie said that the transition to integrate online services into Microsoft
> | products has been a challenge but that changes within the company are
> | happening.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6133895.html
>
> Maybe he should speak to Allchin. They seem to be misaligned over there at
> Microsoft.

There's no misalignment here at all. (I'm not saying that there isn't
misalignment somewhere within a company with 10's of thousands of
employees but this example certainly isn't it.)

>From your own quote Jim is basically saying:

<quote>
a client-based version of Windows won't ever completely disappear,
regardless of how successful Web services become.
</quote>

And Ray says in the interview:

<quote>
"Those are scenarios that Web-based (applications) will just nail and
complement things that are done on the PC," Ozzie said.

For example, people will rely on their PC to edit media files and then
post them onto the Web.

"What the PC is good at, the Web doesn't have as its core strength,
such as really fast (user interface) regardless of the connection speed
and reliability," he said.
</quote>

Basically Ray is saying that the OS and applications should complement
what's available on the web. Neither one is saying that the web will
entirely replace the OS and applications. What they are both saying is
that the OS and applications need to be written to better work with the
web.

> Will Web 2.0 ultimately kill Windows?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> |  Allchin shared his thoughts on Windows Live (which, along with Windows and
> | developer tools also falls under his organization); competition with Google
> | and Apple; and why a client-based version of Windows won?t ever completely
> | disappear, regardless of how successful Web services become.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=66
>

> Reminds me of Gates arguing that... (snip)

Is there anything at all that doesn't remind you of Microsoft or of
what Bill Gates once said?