Re: Area Where Linux/X Beats Others: Clipboards

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 09 November 2006 13:20 \__

> Roy Schestowitz ha scritto:
>
>> Copy/Paste: Different Ways
>

> The easy copy/paste is the first and main thing I miss when I am forced
> to use a Windows machine.  It doesn't matter to me that the feature is
> available for Windows, it's automatic in all the Linux distros I've
> used, and never installed in any of the Windows systems I've used.

You can make extensive use of both the primary and secondary buffer
simultaneously. It allows me to grab multiple segments in one go. I do this
heavily when preparing [News]-tagged messages for posting. I can't imagine
doing things without it because, without this functionality, as well as
Klipper's stack (32 buffer in KDE 3.1 and up 2056 in future versions, IIRC),
there's more mouse motion and more place for confusion and error.

Imagine yourself grabbing data from a numerical package such as Mathematica
or MATLAB onto a spreadsheet without the 'highlight-to-copy' behaviour. It's
slow and confining. And by the way, people say that Linux is hard and
confusing while, in fact, highlight to copy is more intuitive than context
menus, toolbars, menu bars or keyboard accelerators that change depending on
the program or platform. It's all about habits. I see people who still use
context menus to undo, copy and paste. They never let their habits be guided
by the need for quicker and more productive work habits.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Glad to see you're still lurking!

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
Swap:  1036184k total,   492708k used,   543476k free,    89476k cached