Re: [News] Why Red hat Will Survive

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 09 November 2006 11:12 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Survival of the Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "Oracle, Novell and Microsoft are scared to the bone because of the
>> | emergence of Red Hat," says Trip Chowdry, an analyst at Global
>> | Equities Research. "This is [their] strategic move to create
>> | confusion in the open source community."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.smartmoney.com/Techsmart/index.cfm?story=20061108&afl=yahoo
>
> I am not so sure that RH can survive a long battle. MS and Oracle are
> ganging up on them and the more I look at it the more I believe it has
> nothing at all to do with helping Linux, but everything to do with damaging
> it. I believe it is an Oracle and MS partnership. Both would benefit from
> the loss of Linux as a major player in the server market.
>
> Destroy RH and somehow disable Novell and the Linux server market is wide
> open with lesser known names being all that is available. So a trend back
> towards NT could follow. Or pick up the pieces of RH and take a ready made
> system with a new sticker slapped on the box MSOracle.
>
> That idea might have failed if Novell hadn't signed up to an agreement with
> MS. I really really hope that Novell have a good plan of their own ready
> for when MS attempt to pull the rug from under them.

I choose to ignore that possibility, but here's an E-mail I sent a few
minutes ago.

===
Ron Addresses Skepticism

Okay, it's up now. Audiocast...

http://www.novell.com/podcast/Detailpage.jsp?id=107

That's the one I mentioned in my last E-mail. Ted directed the
community's questions. Care to count how many hundreds of times he says
"customers"? Yes, I feel angry and betrayed.
===

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
 12:05pm  up 21 days 22:19,  6 users,  load average: 0.70, 0.95, 0.96