Re: [News] Novell Raises More Questions Than Provides Answers

__/ [ Jim ] on Thursday 09 November 2006 06:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a
> moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> Details of Novell-MS Pact - The SEC filing - Updated
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Just realized the full significance. Novell here is stepping outside
>> | the line of fire and agreeing with Microsoft that *end users* are
>> | the ones that you must go after in any patent infringement dispute.
>> | Shades of SCOsource. Thanks for nothing, Novell. More questions:
>> | When were Novell SUSE customers asked if they wished Novell to
>> | negotiate a agreement with Microsoft on their behalf? When were
>> | Novell SUSE customers asked about the terms of said agreement?W
>> | hat consideration does Microsoft get from Novell's customers?
>> | Does negotiating this agreement on Novell's customers' behalf
>> | indicate that Novell assumed Power of Attorney for their customers
>> | in this matter? Did Novell truly represent the best interest of
>> | their customers using Power of Attorney? Can Novell legally assume
>> | Power of Attorney for their customers without a written grant? Do
>> | Novell customers have the ability to "opt-out" of this agreement?
>> | Is this agreement binding on customers?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061107194320461
>>

>> Details still fuzzy on Microsoft-Novell pact
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | What, exactly, is covered by Microsoft?s $108 million and Novell's
>> | $40 million patent payments to each other? What did each company
>> | know/see/fear that spurred these payoffs? Inquiring minds want
>> | to know more.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=91
>
> I can see a SuSE fork coming, and Novell are going to be left out of the
> loop. Shame, really, it really is one of the best Joe Sixpack distributions
> out there. Losing corporate backing from a company such as Novell is likely
> to hurt a lot.

Just done a quick lookup.

http://whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=freesuse&tld=com

   Domain Name: FREESUSE.COM
   Registrar: BELGIUMDOMAINS, LLC
   Whois Server: whois.belgiumdomains.com
   Referral URL: http://www.belgiumdomains.com
   Name Server: NS-3.WEBSERVERGATOR.COM
   Name Server: NS-2.WEBSERVERGATOR.COM
   Name Server: NS-1.WEBSERVERGATOR.COM
   EPP Status: ok
   Updated Date: 01-Nov-2006
   Creation Date: 01-Nov-2006
   Expiration Date: 01-Nov-2007

Someone beat me to it (not that I would have actually registered a domain).
Be sure... the community will migrate or be fragmented.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
Mem:    514480k total,   492840k used,    21640k free,     4776k buffers