Re: a fanny question about beryl:)

__/ [ elsaric ] on Wednesday 08 November 2006 11:48 \__

> English is my second language,and i have all the time imagined beryl as
> a kind of transparent glassy mineral,which varies in blue,green or
> yellow.
> But i saw a red apperance when i finally installed "beryl",why?
> GOOD LUCK to all linuxer:)

Well, Beryl is a fork of Compiz, the X composite manager. Composite adds many
of the neat transparency effects (e.g. shadows and translucency), which are
complemented by technologies such as AIGLX or XGL for some neat desktop
effects. Beryl is an extension of X server and I think the name is wonderful
because it reflects on the addition/use of a glassy element (alpha channel)
in/to the RGB space.

I don't know why you saw all red... care to upload a screenshot and link to
it?

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Fanny (sic) typo in the subject line. Don't make this mistake in
Britain. :)