Re: [News] A Case for Staying with SUSE

begin  risky.vbs
	<143e7$4550cfd1$544a537b$10603@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Why I'm sticking with Novell's Linux desktop
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Someone just asked me whether, now that Novell's become buddies
>> | with Microsoft, I'll be turning away from Novell/SUSE as one of
>> | my favorite Linux distributions. My answer is no. I'm sticking
>> | with SUSE Linux on both my desktops and servers. Here's why.
>> `----
>>
>> http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS4633960249.html
>>
>> Perhaps the pact was good for both Novell _and_ Microsoft, _at the
>> expense of everybody else_. But the bloodshed in the opensuse
>> mailing lists continues...
>
> I have to agree with the author of the article. Suse is a great
> desktop and Novell isn't dead YET.

SuSE have contributed a lot to Linux and OSS. Before the days of
broadband they did a lot of development on ISDN. They also contributed
a lot in XFree development. No doubt they contributed in other areas
as well. SuSE were a very good Linux company for the Linux / OSS
community in general.

> I read an article on iTwire indicating that the probable reason for
> the alliance is for some quick gain so that Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian
> can keep his job. If that is case, it looks like short term gain for
> long term pain.

If this is true then it is very sad indeed. Their partnership with MS
is simply a bad move as far as I can see. The only good thing I can
see, regardless of what happens to SuSE, is that MS have admitted via
the partnership that Linux is a credible OS. It will make it harder
for MS to slag off Linux and OSS in general IMHO.

--
Security is one of those funny things.  You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing.  A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and