Re: Vista is slow at 3D rendering

__/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Tuesday 07 November 2006 16:47 \__

> Test renders using Blender 2.42a show Vista to be a resource hog.
>
> Test render, average of three renders for each platform,
>
> Fedora Core 6 Linux   13m 09s
> Windows 2000                  13m 37s
> Vista RC1                     14m 09s
>
> Shuttle PC, AMD Barton 2500+ 1 Gb ram with a Vista performance rating of
> 2.8
>
> I would have hoped Vista would be at least as fast as Windows 2000.
> Where have all those years of development gone?

That's only about 5% slower, which is impressive. Other benchmarks are more
pessimistic.

Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you play Battlefield 2 or FEAR or any other popular game you are
| likely to get lower frame rates with Vista. That is certainly not a
| good buying argument but don?t think you and I have much choice as it
| looks like a take it or leave it deal. I like Vista as the 3D desktop
| looks sexy but that is probably its key feature.

Microsoft doesn't yet play games on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm has its Vista logo all over its boothm, but all the machines that
| we investigated were running Windows XP.
|
| Obviously, it is still not the right time to switch to Vista as things
| might be not stable for current games. We hope that they can meet the
| early 2007 schedules.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
  5:05pm  up 20 days  3:19,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.08