Re: Amarok, well ..... rocks!

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Tuesday 07 November 2006 10:55 \__

> I took a break from my video woes to play some relaxing
> music this evening. Put the wireless keyboard in my lap,
> and paid my last respects to XMMS. It's been a long and
> rewarding relationship that we've had, XMMS and me, but
> alas, it has come to end. But we shared alot and we are
> still good friends.

You can still gets the best of both worlds. That's what I do. XMMS when
memory is low and AmaroK for the full pleasure (usually when working over
SSH, so the local load is nill). Back in the days of Winamp I would download
it from oldversions.com for the same reason.

Global shortcuts (keyboard accelerators) can be configured to be consistent
for both AmaroK and XMMS, so there's no confusion.

> Some time ago, my old computer took a dump, a permanent
> retreat from the mortal realm of one's and zero's. Which
> is OK, because it forced me to get a computer that could
> actually handle the load of a modern OS without stalling
> or gasping for air.
>
> So as I have already mentioned in past messages, my
> nephew built for me a new computer (out of hardware
> he already had, took him fourty five minutes give
> or take) that was leaps and bounds better than
> the old one. I had a *much* larger hard drive, and decided
> for many reasons, to go ahead and upgrade to Fedora six.
> Why the hell do any of these guys use so called "code names"
> like "woody" and "zod" ? Never mind, I'm getting off track.

I'm thinking about Fedora myself. I even got an E-mail from a Red Hat
employee this morning. He invited me over to their 'camp'. Your post on
video was a bit of a deterrent though. This won't get any better with the
new patent FUD either...  whilst Novell have a deal with Real (after a
settlement) which will enable them to play WMV/WMA out of the box.
*shudders*

> Anyway, with the move up I decided to off-load all my
> music files from Double layer DVD to the hard drive.
>
> It was about this time that I decided it was time to
> dump my old girl, XMMS. Several of you had told me
> previously that Amarok was simply the best audio player
> app around. I was not impressed on five, and didn't give
> it much of a second look. One of the things that I have
> to give 6 is that sound handling is worlds better than
> in 5, and works *awsomely* (is there such a word?)
> out of the box with no hassles.
>
> The way video should work.
>
> But that's a thread I already started. Linux sound is so
> much higher quality than windows, it's got to be embarrasing
> to gates and company. A big part of that is the folks at ogg
> vorbis. They are my hero's. Moving on.
>
> So with 6, I decided to give Amarok another go.
>
> Wow.
>
> Let me say that again for dramatic effect.
>
> Wow.
>
> You guys that directed me toward Amarok may now say in
> unison, and with great fanfare, "I told you so" .
>
> Yes you did indeed, and I humbly ask for absolution
> from my sins.
>
> This is ease of use at it's very finest. I can safely say that
> I have *never* used an application of any kind that was this
> feature packed while retaining utter simplicity and intuitiveness
> in it's control and interface. I just have to smile and
> shake my head in wonder at the obvious time and thought that
> went into it's design layout, human interface,  and feature
> set. All of it would have to have been carefully thought out
> and planned _before_ a line of code was ever written.

Yes, the KDE multimedia team groups together to coordicate everything.

> Thank you Amarok development squad for an incredible job
> of software design and engineering.
>
> Best regards, COLA gang,
>
> Mathew

To you too.