Re: Longhorn/Vista Eliminates Another Feature (More Vapourware Bites Dust)

nrballardco@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Vista, in its entirety, has become one big stack of application
> updates.  No real improvements to the OS,

Now how would you know exactly ANYTHING about Vista?  Unless you read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista in its entirety?

> just lots of bloat.  I could
> add most of Vista's programs to XP_SP2 and have most of the
> functionality of Vista, with better performance.

Well, the MS developers could.  You and cola can't do anything but whine.

> Internet Explorer 7,
> Windows Media Player 11, Windows Desktop Search, and Windows
> PowerShell (Monad) are all available for Windows XP.  WinFS will be
> upon release, according to earlier announcements from Microsoft.
>
> So why run Vista?

For the same reasons you run any new OS or distro: more security, stability,
features, looks and apps.  Games may be important to you if you're a Windows
user; if you're a Linux user, well... there's always egoboo
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/cap6.jpg

> Maybe so its frosted-glass GUI and ridiculous Sidebar
> application can eat up whatever system resources are left on my PC...

Only Linux recommends a Pentium 4, 2.4ghz processor
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/sysreqs.html

If you don't have a system that meets the recommended specs to run Suse
Enterprise Desktop, you may have to scale back the GUI to Vista Basic, a
less resource-hogging-but-still-much-more-attractive-than-Linux interface,
and disable the Sidebar app.  Or break open your Linux piggybank and upgrade
your CPU and memory for $200 (total).  If you can't afford that, stick with
Linux and open source.