Re: Microsoft's Rootkit Disinformation, Understates Figures Again

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft's Rootkit Disinformation, Understates Figures Again
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 5 Nov 2006 07:13:40 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Do 1.28 Million computers have a Rootkit?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | So assuming like for like, the Microsoft figure of 256,000 unique
> | computers with rootkits could mean, taking Symantec results into
> | account, Microsoft have only found 20% of the actual number of
> | computers with rootkit. Thats a staggering 1,280,000 (1.28 Million)
> | computers infected with rootkits.
> `----

Hmmmm. A staggering TOTAL of 1.28 million rootkits out there for ALL
versions of Windows combined. This includes the millions of users still
running Win95 and Win98.

So let's see. There are about 600-million Windows users. 1.28 million
have rootkits. That's a staggering 0.21% percent of computers.

So let's hypothesize and put Linux into the hands of 600 million users.
Will 0.21% of them somehow manage to screw-up their system?

> http://www.antirootkit.com/blog/2006/11/04/do-128-million-computers-have-a-rootkit/
>
> They do the same thing with malware figures and XBox 360 failure rates,
> tweaking them _orders of magnitude_.

> Lies, damn lies, and statistics...

Your misleading statistics in this post is an execellent example of
this.

> I'll give reliable references to support this, in case you need them.

You mean the same way that you gave "reliable references" to backup
your claims that Windows was directly responsible for patients dying in
hospitals as they were on operating tables?