Re: [News] Open Addict: Boycott Novell

__/ [ Jim ] on Sunday 05 November 2006 11:25 \__

> spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a
> moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> I'd like to believe PK has outsmarted all of us! At the moment I just
> wait
>>> and watch. Others have spontaneously wiped SUSE off their servers and
>>> workstations.
>>
>> Well, that's a rather extreme and stupid thing to do, isn't it.
>> The software works, they're just throwing their toys out of the pram
> because
>> mummy won't buy them a packet of cadburies buttons.
>>
>> If they WANTED to do something to teach suse, then wiping it and using
>> something else isn't going to do it.
>>
>> Doing as you say, and releasing an alternative, like "fedora", "whitebox"
>> and "pinktie" did when redhat clamped down on using the redhat name and
> logo
>> in clone distributions a few years ago
>
> I'm not wiping SuSE off my servers/workstations for exactly that reason: it
> works. I don't care who they climbing into bed with, as long as the
> licensing doesn't change as far as *I* am concerned.

Same her, but I remain upset.

Novell 'secures' its own intersts, but hurts the community as a whole. But
Novell depends on the community. This cyclicity means that, in the
long-term, not only will Novell have hurt the Linux community, but it will
also shoot itself in the foot. It ruins the perception of Linux and its
cleanliness. The bad rep will propagate onto Novell's products. Their
manager must have gone insane, or been intoxicated in some Maui dinner with
Ballmer and Gang. They say wine isn't good for your brain cells. Evidently,
Novell forgot the past, buried the hatchets, or has chosen not to learn from
history that infinitely repeats itself.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
Cpu(s):  17.8% user,   2.4% system,   1.1% nice,  78.8% idle