Re: [News] Another Peculiar Gates Acquisition

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 04 Nov 2006 06:01:44 +0000
<7936023.dODd242DLf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Gates to generate your electricity
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | His personal investment vehicle -? a nice drive if you can afford
> | it -- Cascade Investments is today expected to partner with New
> | Mexico-based PNM Resources on electricity generation and trading.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35521

That may not be so peculiar.  I'd have to look exactly when
the fuss died down but at one point the power companies
wanted to get into the Internet networking business,
throwing packets over the power lines.

It makes some sense from a house wiring standpoint, but
there are issues with how the packets don't get lost in the
interim; the frequency characteristics are very different.

Nowadays, the trunk lines are fiber optic anyway.
That's probably why the fuss died down. :-)

> He has already got the media in his hands...
>
> Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers
>
> $350 million to MediaNews
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
> | those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
> | It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
> | philanthropy outfit.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33849
>
> Also today, Oracle eliminates possible rivalry.
>
> Oracle to buy Stellent
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Oracle will pay about $440m for Stellent. That would be big bucks to
> | you, me and him over there but a drop in the proverbial for Larry
> | Ellison's men and women, as they continue on the gaudiest spree
> | in IT merger-and-acquisition history.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35520

Beware out there... :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #104392:
for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);