[News] Those Who Support and Those Condemn Novell

Red Hat: We will be here in one year, Novell will not

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, Red Hat's high customer satisfaction ratings will
| allow his company to ride the tide.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1228357,00.html

Terpstra: Don't panic over Novell-Microsoft deal

,----[ Quote ]
| My alarm bells are ringing, not because of the announcement but
| rather over concern that those of us who strive the hardest to
| protect our liberties might overreact and, in the process, do
| long-term injury to the cause for liberties in respect of
| software development.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/columnItem/0,294698,sid39_gci1228353,00.html

OpenOffice Blesses Microsoft-Novell Pact

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft-Novell pact was welcomed Friday by OpenOffice.org,
| which said it's delighted as long as the deal leads to
| improvements to the group's free open-source applications suite.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/headlines_week/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=193501757

Microsoft Keeps The Patent Hammer Handy In Novell Linux Pact

,----[ Quote ]
| "This covenant does not apply to any other form of Linux than Suse
| Linux," Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said Thursday in announcing the
| Novell pact. "If your firm wants to use one of the others, you will
| have all the compliance and intellectual property issues as before."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061104/tc_cmp/193501752

The road to the Microsoft tax is paved with Novell's best intentions

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell got duped. It didn't mean to - after all, it's been
| struggling financially for a decade now, and getting some help
| from a partner, even a dubious one like Microsoft, probably felt
| like a risk worth taking.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/11/the_road_to_the.html

Industry is lukewarm to angry about Novell/Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Tom Kemp, CEO of Centrify Corp., a company that specializes in products
| that link Unix, Linux, Mac, J2EE, and Web platforms with Microsoft
| Active Directory, watched the Novell/Microsoft announcement with
| special interest. "It seems every year they [Microsoft] have one of
| these Détente meetings." By addressing the "patent issue across
| the two vendors, [it] now looms over Red Hat vis a vis any
| Microsoft patents," Kemp says.

Many more opinions in that last article.