Re: Linux Advocates Wary of Novell-Microsoft Tie

  • Subject: Re: Linux Advocates Wary of Novell-Microsoft Tie
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 05:13:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ GreyCloud ] on Friday 03 November 2006 21:13 \__

http://news.com.com/2061-11729_3-6132391.html?part=rss&tag=6132391&subj=news

> Quote of the day: 'Excuse me while I go throw up'

"Excuse me while I go throw up. I gather Microsoft no longer thinks Linux is
a cancer or communism. Now it just wants a patent royalty from it. Wasn't
that kinda SCO's dream at first? A kind of royalty on every box sold, every
server shipped? Blech. And this 'patent promise' is only for SUSE, so that
tells the discerning observer that Microsoft will likely be suing others. As
for Novell, if history means anything, it will end up Microsoft roadkill.
It's so funny to me that nobody ever remembers what comes *after* the
Embrace."

         --PJ, Groklaw

Let's read that again if needed.

"Don't be fooled by the sense that Microsoft's deal to cross-license and
otherwise support Novell's Suse is a boost for Linux. The better way to look
at this deal is to think of it as the first major step in Microsoft's plan
to co-opt Linux and let its Windows monopoly live to dominate another day.
It's a strategy that has worked before, and, judging the relative market
clout of Suse vs. Windows, it's sure to succeed again."

        --Enterprise Anti-Matter

"(Ballmer) has a fiduciary duty to sell Windows, Windows, Windows, and to
partner with whatever companies he thinks will help him sell more...Windows
and with those that help him kill...Linux. Which camp does Novell fit into?
Not sure, but I don't think it's in Novell's shareholder interest to help
Microsoft with either goal. This isn't about helping Linux (SUSE Linux or
otherwise), but rather about killing the only real threat to Microsoft's
dominance in the operating system market: Red Hat."

        --Matt Asay on Open Source

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Swap:  1036184k total,   434668k used,   601516k free,    49428k cached