Re: [News] Linux on the PlayStation 3 Will be Open for Programmers

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux on the PlayStation 3 Will be Open for Programmers
  • From: JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:45:21 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2006-11-03, Daniel Metzger <pichu0102@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:43:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 on the PlayStation 3
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Terra Soft's YDL 5.0 distribution, which will ship with GCC 4 and the
>> | Cell SDK in addition to a broad assortment of common open source
>> | desktop applications, could potentially facilitate the emergence of
>> | a homebrew PS3 development community and bring a lot of extra value
>> | to Sony's next-gen console.
>> `----
>>
>> http://playstation3-homebrew.blogspot.com/2006/11/yellow-dog-linux-50-on-playstation-3.html
>
> Who in the world would buy a PS3 JUST for Linux? I mean, Linux is great
> and all, don't get me wrong, but don't most people use Linux to get away
> from things like high cost? I mean, there are plenty of systems out there
> that come with Linux, and are half the price of the PS3, not to mention
> are able to run more distros.

	Aren't the PS3's going to be on par with the price of a NEW
mac mini anyways? There's plenty of Linux capable hardware (compact
and otherwise) that will be more interesting and cheaper than a PS3.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \