[News] Vista Has Audio Driver Incompatibility Issues

To those who prey on ALSA/OSS/arts/Helix/anode/whatever anomalies.

Upcoming 3D Audio Apocalypse in Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| With Microsoft's decision to remove the audio hardware layer in
| Windows Vista, legacy DirectSound 3D games will no longer use hardware
| 3D algorithms for audio spatialization. Instead they will have to rely
| upon the new Microsoft software mixer that is built into Windows Vista.
| This new software mixer will give the users basic audio support for their
| old Direct Sound games but since it has no hardware layer, all EAX
| effects will be lost, and no individual per-voice processing can be
| performed using dedicated hardware processing.
`----

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/743/743502p1.html

Loosely related:

Vista, the five year old's OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I downloaded a few other utilities and this continued, along with all
| sorts of taskbar balloons announcing all manner of vulnerabilities I
| was opening myself up to by merely using the computer. After fifteen
| minutes of this, I gave up and closed my Parallels session.
|
| Is there an "expert mode" in Vista I can set so I'm not treated
| like this is my first computer the next time I use it?
`----

http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2006/11/01/vista-the-five-year-olds-os/

Windows 98 in Flash:

http://www.erikandanna.com/Humor/Antimicrosoft/27549_winrg.swf