[News] Linux-Loving Motorola Foresees Sub-$15 Cellphones

Motorola chairman: Mobiles for under $15 likely by 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile phones costing less than $15 will be available in developing
| countries by 2008, Motorola Chairman David Brown has predicted.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6131929.html

When the price of software royalities exceeds the worth of hardware...

That's the rationale for Linux in the mobile space, according to some
experts. The $100 laptops is proof of parallels in the desk/laptop space.
The AMD/Intel price wars help.

very recent:

Motorola to build open source Java ME community

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola Inc. plans to establish an open source community for the Java
| Micro Edition (Java ME) software stack for the mobile industry...
`----

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18482572190021E87C

Motorola Prepping Linux-based RAZR Smartphone?

,----[ Quote ]
| We know that Moto has a Linux-based ROKR ready to go that's already
| cleared the FCC labyrinth of regulation, so it's likely that the RAZR
| in this shot will sport some Linuxy goodness.
`----

http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/31/motorola-prepping-linux-based-razr-smartphone/

Linux makes Mot tops in PDA/smartphone growth

,----[ Quote ]