Re: cybercrime laws will harm security research ..

  • Subject: Re: cybercrime laws will harm security research ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:43:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 18 November 2006 19:20 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> "The Police and Justice Bill 2006 .. contains amendments to the
>> Computer Misuse Act 1990 that alter the law surrounding the creation
>> and distribution of 'dual use' software tools"
>>
>> "Part 37 of the .. Bill ..  states: "A person is guilty of an offence
>> if he supplies or offers to supply any article believing that it is
>> likely to be used to commit, or to assist in the commission of, an
>> offence"
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39284750,00.htm
>
> Oh god - more laws created by people who haven't got a clue.  Someone,
> please please stop parliament from perpetrating these idiocies.
>
> We have passports, 3 million of them, with RFID chips which can be read
> from yards away and decrypted fully, /exactly/ as was predicted would
> happen.  Soon it's going to be illegal to distribute standard software
> tools in the UK, /in case/ someone finds a way of using them
> "illegally".
>
> And all this time, our government continues to spend money with
> Microsoft on software which everyone knows is insecure by design, even
> though there are secure alternatives available for a much reduced cost.

I think that Microsoft holds Blair and his mates by the balls. Honestly,
blair is like a schoolgirl around Bill Gates.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
Tasks: 142 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie