Re: Ms/Novell deal will violate GPL 3 ..

  • Subject: Re: Ms/Novell deal will violate GPL 3 ..
  • From: GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:44:55 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:

begin oe_protect.scr Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Friday 17 November 2006 14:55 \__

"GPL version 3 will be adjusted so the effect of the current deal is
that Microsoft will by giving away access to the very patents
Microsoft is trying to assert."

Let's see how Ballmer likes /that/. Can we add a clause which states that no monkeys are allowed to use GPLv3-licensed software?

This move seemed like such an obvious and clear next step.  In many
respects, it's a great shame that so many objected to GPL3 for so long -
had it already been in place, perhaps the Novell disaster might not have
happened.

I've been keeping track of all of this, not only from SCOs FUD attempts as a M$ proxy, but also this one as well. I'd wager at a guess that M$ legal dept. has already gone over the GPL with a fine tooth comb looking for any loopholes. When they start stooping this low to kill off any competition will only cause people that are aware to start complaining to their congressman.
To those that are U.S. citizens, I suggest that they do write their Congressman.

-- Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?