Re: U-turn for Thailand

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 16 November 2006 16:35 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Interesting -
>>
>> "In his first "meet the press" session as ICT Minister, Professor
>> Sitthichai Pokai-udom put forth his radical vision for 3G in Thailand,
>> condemned open source for turning out buggy, useless software and promised
>> to make the civil servants in the ICT Ministry proud of their organisation
>> once again"
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> "On the subject of open source software, he said the current government
>> plan was a case of the blind leading the blind, as neither the people who
>> are in charge nor the people in industry seem to know the dangers of open
>> source software"
>>
>> "With open source, there is no intellectual property. Anyone can use it
>> and all your ideas become public domain. If nobody can make money from it,
>> there will be no development and open source software quickly becomes
>> outdated," he said.
>>
>> "Apart from Linux, he claimed that most open source software is often
>> abandoned and not developed, and leads to a lot of low-quality software
>> with lots of bugs"
>>
>> "As a programmer, if I can write good code, why should I give it away?
>> Thailand can do good source code without open source," he said.
>>
>> http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/15Nov2006_data001.php
>>
>> (I'm not going to comment at this time, but I will read all responses with
>> considerable interest, having had significant business dealings in
>> Thailand in the past)
>>

> What's amazing is that open-source is now so important that government
> ministers feel the need to base their strategic statements around how
> they are or are not going to use it.  If he'd thought about this at all,
> he'd have realised that simply having to say that he /didn't/ want to
> use open-source software means that it's more important than the
> proprietary stuff.
>
> Coffee - smell!

I tried to identify connections between that minister and Gates (Microsoft as
well), but I wasn't successful.

I had a Thai colleague in my office just before he finished his Ph.D. He was
keen on learning Linux (among other things, such as Liverpool) and I vividly
recall him rocoiling in disgust when the Thai government struck a deal with
Microsoft... he was upset enough to tell me this while pointing at his
minitor. The deal was intended to provide Office for some schools, or
something along these lines. These comes as an adversity if you consider
larger neighbouring countries such as the Philippines, Indonesia, China and
India... all of which plan a move to Linux (Debian, Opensuse or Fedora) and
Open Source.

I would not have been surprised if the Chinese government was the one to
strike a deal and tap on Bill Gates' shoulder.

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that most people do not grasp the immense entity of Microsoft.
| This is an organization and a man who commands the attention and bidding
| of world leaders. On a recent trip to America, the President of China
| spent his first evening in the United States, not with our President,
| but Bill Gates. He was the guest of the Gates mansion that first
| evening and the guest of honor for a dinner attended by over one
| hundred people. Why? To ask him to crack down on Software piracy
| and to insure that his computer manufacturers put Microsoft Windows
| on thier newly made machines instead of shipping them with no OS. He
| didn't see the President of the United States for over 36 hours...he
| spent that time with Bill Gates at his home and at the Redmond
| Campus.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/88-Treachery-In-The-Trenches.html

Bill Gates and the Chinese government adopt a regime that's suppressant,
involves controlling people's mind and is in short.... totalitarian. Those
two can truly see eye to eye, I'm sure. The apple doesn't fall far from the
tree.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
Tasks: 144 total,   1 running, 141 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie