[News] Thoughts About Microsoft's Latest FUD: Let's Test It in Court

Microsoft: We don't want to do the patent dance alone!

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has 3.2 bazillion patents. It makes lots of money selling
| the rights to these in the form of Office, Windows, etc. It doesn't
| need to earn a nickel more through veiled threats and innovation
| surcharges on software it does not own, has no rights to, and would
| do well to embrace. If I'm wrong, and if there are real patent
| infringement issues in Linux and other open source projects, then
| I would like to personally invite Microsoft to champion its rights
| by suing the entire planet.
|
| Customers. Competitors. Partners.
|
| Please exercise those alleged rights of yours, Microsoft. Not in
| shifty "partnering" sorts of ways. But in court. We'll see how
| long it takes for your customers to boot you out. I suspect the
| judge's verdict will be somewhat immaterial at that point.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/11/microsoft_we_do_1.html

Maybe they should have worked stealthily behind someone else's name (/a la/
SCO) in order to avoid the PR backlash.