[News] Ubuntu Discusses 'Binary Blob' Controversy and Other Display Matters

Ubuntu Developer Summit report: X.org improvements, driver controversy, and
bling

,----[ Quote ]
| The announcement that Ubuntu will ship binary drivers by default in
| Feisty is getting a lot of negative commentary from users and Ubuntu
| members alike. Of course, there's also a vocal contingent that complainst
| hat Ubuntu and other distros are unsuitable for general users because
| they don't ship with Nvidia or other binary drivers enabled. There's
| no position here that will satisfy all users.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/13/2112259&from=rss

Also today:

(The Envy Script for Ubuntu)

,----[ Quote ]
| "Envy" is a script written in Python which will download the
| latest Nvidia driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
| from Nvidia's website and set it up for you handling dependencies
| (compilers, OpenGL, etc.) which are required in order to use the
| driver on Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4Z5VghfhE&NR

Related:

gNewSense joins list of FSF-approved distros

,----[ Quote ]