Re: [News] Could Microsoft Plot to Sue Red Hat?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Could Microsoft Plot to Sue Red Hat?
  • From: Albert <ajv2003@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:43:56 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Microsoft: Door open to open-source pacts

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Microsoft's Bill Hilf, general manager for platform
| strategy, spoke further about the deal with Jeremy Kirk,
| addressing how Microsoft views its intellectual property
| relative to Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1521556187;fp;2;fpid;4

Red Hat lawyer is right about indemnification not mattering. But for the
wrong reasons

,----[  ]
| According to a new FAQ on Red Hat's Web site -- one that's primarily
| designed to spin the bilateral legal protection that Microsoft and
| Novell have assured to each other as a net positive for Red Hat --
| the North Carolina-based distributor of open source software will
| now offer indemnification to its Linux customers. Does it matter?
| According to Red Hat's deputy general counsel Mark Webbink,
| indemnification is not nearly as important as the Open Source
| Assurance Program that Red Hat already had in place.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3886

Berlind opines that Microsoft is preparing to sue (judging by the damning
feed title). Red Hat naturally bemoans and dismisses the possibility.

On a positive note:

Microsoft's Linux Move Shines Light on Interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has finally acknowledged that Linux is here to stay. Last
| week, the Redmond giant struck a deal with Novell to ensure that its
| products will run just as well on Linux as on Windows. It's no longer
| about competition; now, it's all about interoperability.

Take with a barrel of salt.

I wouldn't be surprised. Far be it from me to spread roumors and create gossip. But what with Cisco's move on RH, you got the feeling they was more to come, maybe Mr Cisco and Mr MS have come up with a way to kick the shit out of the largest of the server distros.

Cisco don't lose anything with the loss of RH, the Cisco RH service doesn't
cost much, its just a matter of passing RH updates on to Cisco customers.

MS would love to get rid of RH, and probably haven't yet finished being nice
to Novell while their wait for them to expose their back to stab it a few
times.

MS needs the server side and the quickest way to get it is to get rid of the
main Linux server distros.

I just hope Novell know what they are doing. That $200million will be of
little compensation when they find that MS has a hatchet hidden in it's
coat pocket. Would be nice to think MS are genuine this time, but I waited
long enough to see a fairy at the bottom of my garden and that didn't
happen either.

Anyone still supporting Novell's projects?

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0648-2, 11/14/2006 Tested on: 11/14/2006 1:43:57 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com