[News] Gateway No Longer Wintel-Only, Also to Support Virtualisation

Gateway Servers Go AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| Gateway's server line, up to now strictly Intel, has admitted AMD to
| its ranks. It has dual-core 1U, 2U and 3U rack-mounted models to
| start, promising more to come.
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/299027_p.htm

Recently it was Dell which began stocking AMD (despite alarming shortages in
supply). From the past week:

AMD reveals its future plans

,----[ Quote ]
| INQ "That brings the question of drivers. AMD has been a staunch supporter
| of Linux, while many users of ATI had a hay-ride with drivers for Linux
| operating system. Nvidia, as the prime competitor has support of Linux
| community, while every once a while we hear news about petitions to
| ATI, drivers not working as intended."
|
| Phil "AMD is driving the industry to an open world, and we focus our
| strengths and with combined approach, achieve what's best for
| development of the industry around us. All ISVs are important for us."

AMD's new playing field: China

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Micro Devices is looking to grab a bigger share
| of emerging markets in its fight to gain a stronger
| foothold against archrival Intel.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6133158.html

The terrain is certainly changing. An article I spotted earlier today
suggests that Microsoft has begun working vigorously on 64-bit support in
Windows (including device drivers). They have fallen behind while the world
moved on....