Re: [News] PlayStation 3 Can Have Multiple Linux Distros Installed

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 12 November 2006 13:36 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> How to install another OS on your PS3!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Sony even offers hints. Wow! It's like they want us to try different
>>| OS! They keep showing how gamer-centric they are.
>>|
>>|     * To start the newly installed system software, go to
>>|       (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Default System], and then
>>|       select [Other OS] to restart the system.
>> `----
>>
>> http://playstationteam.com/news/how-to-install-another-os-on-your-ps3.htm
>>
>> Cool. Now we can assemble and compile PS3 From Scratch (PFS). Build your
>> pleasure. Piece. By. Piece. [sarcasm /]
>>
>> The PS3 runs vim, too!
>
> This is looking more and more cool.  I can see this being incredibly
> popular.  How many students will look at this as a good option?

On the one hand, they can use the PS3 to do their homework (with LyX,
barebones LaTeX, or OpenOffice which is preinstalled). Then again, they'd
have the world's biggest distraction... a Cell processor running the most
cutting-edge games that are available on the market.

See, that's the problem with Linux: games. Too many of them to permit you to
do some /real/ work.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
Cpu(s):  19.4% user,   2.6% system,   1.1% nice,  76.8% idle