[News] Open Source Misconceptions That Refuse to Die

Frustration: some (Open Source) myths just refuse to die

,----[ Quote ]
| Some misconceptions refuse to die. And, worst of all, these
| misconceptions are harming our community and harming us, directly.
| I'm talking about a two-headed beast:
|
|    1. That Open Source projects cannot (or should not) be repackaged
|       and sold by third parties
|    2. That Open Source products' tech support is worthless
|
| Keep reading to find out how I've personally experienced this monster on my
| business.
`----

http://turbochargedcms.com/2006/11/frustration-some-open-source-myths-just-refuse-to-die/

Related:

Myths about Linux

,----[ Myths ]
| Myth 1: Linux is too hard to use for the novice user or Linux is difficult
| to install!
|
| Myth 2: Linux has no technical support!
|
| Myth 3: Linux has limited hardware support!
|
| Myth 4: There is not much software available for Linux
|
| Myth 5: You cannot run Microsoft Windows programs or MacOSX programs on
| Linux
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/09/10/myths-about-linux/

The Perception that Windows is Easier to Use than Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I've often read in these forums Ubuntu new users claiming
| in a matter-of-fact way something along the lines of "Who
| are we kidding? Just face it--Windows is easier to use than
| Ubuntu." It's that obvious, is it? And, of course, it makes
| anyone who disagrees look like some kind of crazy Linux
| zealot.
`----

http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2006/07/31/the-perception-that-windows-is-easier-to-use-than-ubuntu/

Top 5 Linux and Windows myths

,----[ Ones that I found intersting ]
| ...Studies have shown that Linux is in fact MORE user friendly than
| windows, just people aren't used to it!
|
| ...Linux is getting more user friendly and supportive of hardware all the
| time, no-one can deny that. And although Microsoft have the influence
| to push them through a few mistakes, if a long chain continues it could
| well
| cause permenant damage - it would just take far longer because of their
| influence.
|
| ...And due to the ever increasing number of computers in poorerc
| ountries, Linux is gaining momentum.
`----

http://tt-blogs.com/comment.php?id=52

Linux for Home Users

,----[ Gist ]
| Linux hands in decreasing PC prices
| Linux is better than other OS
| Security
|

| Myths about Linux:
|
|       Linux is hard to install...
|       Linux is very difficult and based on text command
|       Hardware compatibility problem and few applications that run on Linux
|       Windows applications in Linux
`----

http://www.freeos.com/articles/4805/

Mobile Platforms: Linux -- a land of misconceptions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/09/27/218788/Mobile+Platforms+Linux+--+a+land+of+misconceptions.htm
http://tinyurl.com/sonba