Re: [News] What's Coming Up in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5?

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:48:54 +0000,
> RHEL 5: What's coming (Interview w/ Scott Crenshaw)
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|     * SELinux MLS support (EAL4+/LSPP)
>|     * SELinux Troubleshooter - Greatly simplifies administration
>|     * Network storage ( Autofs, CacheFS / NFS persistent local cache,
>|       iSCSI )
>|     * Integrated directory & security
>|     * Desktop (GNOME, X.Org 7.1, Laptop)
>|     * Stateless Linux (Desktop/Server/ Virtualized )
>|     * New Driver Model (better support for 3rd party drivers)
>|     * Enhanced development tools (SystemTap, Frysk)
>|     * Enhanced large SMP support (big kernel lock removal, etc.)
>|     * Multi-Core beyond Dual
>|     * Single Node GFS
>|     * Kexec / Kdump ( replacing Diskdump and Netdump)
>|     * Installer improvements
>|     * RHN support for virtualization
>|     * Broad range of new HW support
>|     * IPv6 support and conformance enhancements
>|     * IPSEC enhancements
>|     * I/O-AT  Intel's network accelerators
>|     * Improved ACPI support, suspend to disk
>|     * Block device data encryption support
>|     * Root device MPIO support
>|     * Dynamically switchable per-queue I/O schedulers
>|     * Enhanced pipe buffering (circular buffers)
>|     * IPv4/IPv6 fragmentation offload & optimized buffer management
>|     * Integrated multi-media support
>|     * Smart card login - with PKI/Kerberos authentication
>|     * Enhanced plug and play hardware support (cameras, etc)
>|     * Enhanced graphics using AIGLX/Compiz (e.g. fading, transparency, etc)
>|     * Network Manager - automatic network configuration
>|     * Samba - improved Microsoft Active Directory integration
>|     * Audit - powerful new search/reporting tools; unique real
>|       time interface
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/11/rhel_5_whats_co.html

We use RHEL on some of the boxes at work, the Oracle and MySQL servers
mostly. After spending $ORACLE-BUX on that, the cost for a few support
contracts for RHN is nothing. Although most of the webservers run either
CentOS4, or are in the process of switching from FC2 to CentOS4. We'll
almost certainly upgrade to RHEL5 when it's available, and we can wedge
in the time, as we are currently rolling out SElinux all over also.
(RHEL4 has SElinux too, which is nice. Still have a few RHEL3 boxes
though.) GFS is interesting also, as we have some rather large (like a
few hundred GB) of cached images.  The existing NFS setup is creaking a
bit.

Ahhh... I see the fuck-up fairy has visited us again.