Re: [News] Flawed Linux Articles in Silicon.com and BBC

  • Subject: Re: [News] Flawed Linux Articles in Silicon.com and BBC
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:16:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
begin oe_protect.scr Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
Apples and bananas

,----[ Quote ]
| This statement is incorrect in almost every sense. To go through it
| point for point:
| | * Linux is a great example of the old adage "you don?t get owt for
| nowt": I assume Mr Benson is referring to the GNU/Linux distributions | rather than the Linux kernel itself, and in particular to desktop
| distributions, nonetheless my reply concerns all these...
| | * [GNU/Linux] is not free: Actually it is. Both the GNU/Linux
| Distributions and the Linux kernel are free in almost all senses
| of the word...
| | * [Y]ou pay for the support of [GNU/Linux]: I do not know about you, or | Mr Benson, but I do not pay for GNU/Linux support as I support my
| sites myself.
| | * There are so many flavours [of GNU/Linux] that it dilutes any potent-
| ial attractiveness: What a curious thing to say. Taking that argument | to its logical conclusion would be like saying a cafï should not sell | ice cream because the attractiveness of that is diluted due to too
| many flavours available.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/apples_and_bananas

O' course tha' doesn't get owt for nowt, but tha does get a bl**dy good
OS for the price o' a download if tha' chooses linux.  Or, tha' could
spend far t'much and get summat proprietary.

Tha tek's tha choices.

Linux - provides choices.

Eeee la', but di'nt ye know tha' choice flumexes 'em sheep wi' nowt oopstairs?

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5
 16:10:36 up 6 days, 16:47,  1 user,  load average: 0.40, 0.39, 0.47