Re: Linux Gains Ground, Beats FUD in Enterprises

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> The Open-Source Impact
>
> It's Gaining Ground In Larger Enterprises, But What About SMEs?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "The biggest hurdle we face is the perception that open source and
> | Linux is just too difficult to use or lacks too many features to be
> | effective [in smaller companies]," says Rotzow. "This is why people
> | keep choosing Microsoft."
> `----

People keep choosing Microsoft because it's preinstalled by the OEMs,
and Retailers only carry the Windows and Mac products.

The fact that people pay substantially more for Macs of lesser
performance, is a clear indicator that many people DON'T choose
Microsoft.  The fact that people will pay a premium for hardware that
can only be fully utilized when running 64 bit Linux, indicates that
people DON'T choose Microsoft.

Even so, people are still willing to keep Windows and Microsoft as a
secondary system.
But at least Microsoft can get more profits, thanks to their new and
incredibly creative EULA and OEM licenses for Vista.  From my point of
view, I'd rather be using XP.  But since using Dual-Core CPUs now
requires XP licenses, and Duo and AMD-X2, are both dual-core
processors, it really doesn't make much difference, I'd use Vista if
it's only $20 more for Ultimate, from the OEM.

http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/P2845/31p45/31p45.asp&guid=
> http://tinyurl.com/y8qoto
>
> Proof that FUD Still Plays a role.

No, proof that Microsoft's OEM strong-arm tactics, combined with
"Microsoft Authorized Retailer" or "Microsoft Authorized Dealer" -
which allows Microsoft to revoke that status, along with permission to
sell Microsoft software and appearantly Microsoft PCs, if they don't
like the way a retailer does business (such as putting Linux boxes on
the same sales floor as the Windows boxes).

Perhaps Congress will start some investigatitons into Microsoft's
activities.  It would be interesting if Bill Gates was indicted AFTER
he retires.