Re: [News] New Syllable Operating System Released

  • Subject: Re: [News] New Syllable Operating System Released
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:22:59 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mareeba
<mareeba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 02:35:19 GMT
<HFa5h.50660$r61.22073@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Saturday 11 November 2006 00:01 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mareeba
>>> <mareeba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:12:02 GMT

>>> And precisely just how much do you know about NT/XP/Vista
>>> kernel design, then? :-)
>>
>> Linux: let's make things modular to accomodate change, damage control,
>> distributed development and top-down design.
>>
>> Windows (the monolith): What's a kernel?
>>

> Which 'windows' do you refer to? Later versions are not monolithic
> kernel designs. XP for instance has a microkernel.

OK....so explain precisely why Windows is a "microkernel"
and not a macrokernel, a popcorn kernel, a lieutenant
colonel, a mathematical construct, or a figment of a
marketing person's imagnation.

For its part Linux is a weird mix of traditional kernel
and loadable modules, at least as far as I can tell.
I'm not quite sure how to characterize it since I've not
looked into it in gory detail, and am not sure what a
"microkernel" is anyway.  However, it's quite clear that
one can chop out most of the Linux kernel (namely, the
bits one doesn't really require) and it would still work;
for example, if there are no SCSI drives in one's system,
all SCSI modules can simply be removed.

Oh, and in case you're wondering:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Kernel.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GroupKernel.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RingKernel.html

For this set of links, it's the set of elements in the
domain mapping to the arithmetic identity in the range of
a homomorphism.  It is also called the null space.  There
are other meanings, however, as well, such as

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DirichletKernel.html

And that's your math lesson for today.  Tune in tomorrow
when we'll discuss the ins and outs of attempting to prove
that the roots of quintics irreducible over Z[x] aren't
expressible using radicals.  Or was it proving 2+2=4?
Darn.  Where are my lecture notes this week?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }