Re: [News] Exclusive Distribution Channels and Game Maker That Are Restricted to Produce Games Only for Windows/XBox

> (or "how come we don't see a lot of Linux games?")
>
> THQ in distribution pact with Microsoft Game Studios
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | THQ Inc. on Wednesday said its ValuSoft division signed an agreement
> | with Microsoft Game Studios to be the exclusive U.S. distribution
> | partner for select Microsoft Windows-based PC products.
> `----
>
> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061129:MTFH32482_2006-11-29_11-24-54_WNAS4365&type=comktNews&rpc=44
> http://tinyurl.com/ydrs3x
>
> The above isn't an ideal example, but...
>
> Can these commitments, much like "exclusives", stifle competition,
> especially
> when they come from a convicted monopoly? A word of mouth said that
> Microsoft also sought to acquire Capcom, having already absorbed many game
> makers.

Last I looked Microsoft wasn't a convicted monopoly in the Games or Console
markets,  only the OS market.  Alot of large game companies buy smaller
companies.  The employees of  the buyout company, start new companies,
happens quite a bit.  Activision, EA and THQ do the same thing.