[News] Microsoft's Linux Coupon Promise is Another Gotcha (Novell Stabbed in Back)

Financial Details Emerge in Microsoft-Novell Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Novell, Microsoft will make a lump sum payment to Novell
| in the amount of $240 million, which will buy Microsoft 70,000
| subscription certificates for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise
| Server.
|
| The plan calls for Microsoft to distribute these coupons to its
| Windows Server customer base so they can acquire and run SLES in
| virtual partitions using the upcoming "Viridian" hypervisor that
| will debut with Windows Server "Longhorn," according to Novell's
| SEC filing. It also pays for all SLES maintenance and support
| from Novell.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb112806-story06.html

So Microsoft intend run Linux /under/ Windows.

Earlier today:

Q&A with Ron Hovsepian

,----[ Quote ]
| Hovsepian states that the deal began in search of virtualization, and that
| initially Microsoft's position was that Linux could be virtualized within
| Windows, but not Windows within Linux.

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/11/29/qa-with-ron-hovsepian/

Q&A: Novell CEO on the Microsoft deal

,----[ Quote ]
| I saw virtualization as a key to us being able to do that in a
| different manner than we have in the past. That was the genesis of
| the whole conversation: calling up an old customer and having a
| conversation at the customer level. And then it took a lot of
| twists and turns.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/112806-novell-ceo-on-the-microsoft.html

Novell Launches First 'Desktop-to-Data Center' Management Solutions That
Deliver on Interoperable, Cross-Platform Vision

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the agreement with Microsoft* earlier this month, these
| offerings are the next steps in Novell's plan to deliver on its vision
| of interoperable, cross-platform management solutions.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061128/sftu114.html?.v=70

This entire 'deal' was a joke.