Re: [News] Microsoft Fights the Internet While the Net Takes Over

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Online video 'eroding TV viewing'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The online video boom is starting to eat into TV viewing time, an ICM
> | survey of 2,070 people for the BBC suggests.
> `----
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6168950.stm

I can understand that you know, I tend to get a bit hooked on a video
channel of say YouTube or one of the others, watching music videos or some
comedy thing. It's better than telly because you choose what you want to
watch and can ignore the adverts, all except one advert that is.

YouTube's purpose is to hold and play videos, nearly all with sound. But
they use adverts that have sound which you can't turn off. Like one that
laughs all the time the page is open so you can't hear the sound off the
video. Wouldn't you have thought they would think of stuff like that before
accepting the advert.

I watched an entire concert the other night, the picture was good quality,
the sound was reasonable and it was a concert I would never have gone to
live because I didn't know that group very well, just knew a couple of
their songs. They won a fan and I want to see them live next time they are
passing.

These videos should not only be seen as a free-TV, they can sell themselves
or the artists too.

I have also found some documentary videos that probably wouldn't make it on
TV because they weren't professionally made, might have been made by
students, but in areas that interested me so I enjoyed watching them.

> Context:
>
> Gates: Internet Bubble Is Back
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "We're back kind of in Internet-bubble era in terms of people
> | thinking: 'O.K., traffic. We want traffic. We want traffic,'"
> | Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates said. "There are still some areas
> | where it is unclear what's going to come out of that."
> `----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/OXeSW60uKg5mvA/Gates-Internet-Bubble-Is-Back.xhtml

Yes he is right there, the traffic systems are not infinit. The current load
from the video streamers is enough to strangle the bandwidth a fair bit, so
I can't see it being able to manage live TV on a constant basis, even live
radio struggles some nights.

But we have to face it, the Internet can only grow, so best get on with
bandwidth widening and traffic routing techniques before it does start
clogging up.

I can't help feeling that wifi/sky might be a better direction for that than
open more cable channels (they are spares but are meant for fault
tollerence).