[News] Xandros Desktop Designed to Snatch Windows Users

Look out Windows, Here Come (sic) Xandros Desktop Pro V4

,----[ Quote ]
| I have now worked with XANDROS PROFESSIONAL DESKTOP Ver. 4 for about 4
| days. I have added programs, removed programs, used the word
| processing capabilities, installed Windows programs, connected
| with our server and have in general pushed the system looking for
| the bugs. At this point I have found nothing.
|
| XANDROS deserves credit for creating a distribution that is easy
| for a Windows user to transition too, while providing most, if not
| all, of the tools needed for both home and office.
`----

http://www.geektimelinux.com/index.php?q=node/view/358

No bugs in Linux, eh? On the other hand...

Outlook takes 136 years to sync email (screenshot included)

,----[ Quote ]
| The software behemoth has previously tried to assume control of the
| fourth dimension by turning the clocks back a week early, and
| turning the clocks forward a few thousand years to release its new
| operating system Windows Vista.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/10/outlook_sync_progress/

Windows Vist (sic) - File Copying - Progress Bar (screenshot included)

,----[ Quote ]
| The progress bar is yet to show the actual progress as it has
| almost transfered 60% of data.
`----

http://interestingwritings.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-vist-transfer-rate.html

Vista still not ready for prime time

,----[ Quote ]
| The overall quality of this $399 Windows Vista Ultimate edition
| isn't deserving of final-release-candidate status, says CNET's Robert
| Vamosi. Expect to see at least one more interim build or perhaps even
| another release candidate soon.
`----

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6124945.html?part=rss&tag=6124945&subj=news

Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'

,----[ Quote ]
| Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
| major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
| system is truly ready to evaluate.
|
| Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
| of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
| still needs major work.
|
| [...]
|
| Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
| corrupted the term.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

Vista: Behind the scenes

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the glitches were already known. Many were things that have
| already been fixed, and a few were too new and need investigating.
| None appeared to be a show-stopper.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6133491.html

"Installing Windows Vista Release Candidate 2 on a brand new Dell 9200
results in...yep, an old fashioned blue screen...."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jos2006/290912988/

IE 7 mistake

,----[ Quote ]
| I was just using Internet Explorer 7 (the final release version - not
| the beta) and noticed a mistake!... I then pressed CTRL+P and as
| anyone should expect, it printed. I suggest Microsoft fix this lest
| they appear foolish.
`----

http://frondiz.com/blog/2006/11/ie-7-mistake.html

Windows Vista: Work In Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| Already, the list of non-compatible applications or hardware is fairly
| long. Microsoft's own Vista updates add to the number of third-partyp
| atches on which businesses will have to conduct compatibility testing.
| The burden is yet another reason to see slow business deployments in
| the early months following Windows Vista's release.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/windows_vista_work_in_progress.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Visual Studio vs. Vista: What's going on here?

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Visual Basic 6.0 (supported)
|     * Visual Studio .NET 2002 (not supported)
|     * Visual Studio .NET 2003 (not supported)
|     * Visual Studio 2005 (supported, but will have "compatibility issues"
|       until some nebulous set of post-SP1 fixes ships)
`----

http://www.theserverside.net/news/thread.tss?thread_id=42426

SQL Server 2005 SP1 won't work with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no secret that a number of applications, including
| several of Microsoft's own, are not going to work properly
| with Windows Vista when the product ships.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=71

Vista Breaks Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| The big secret at Redmond is that existing applications and new
| products will not work with Vista.
|
| Microsoft really doesn't want you to know this, but many of your
| existing applications won't work with Vista. In fact, some brand
| new products won't work with Vista.

Forget about Zune in VIsta... until that gets/got fixed.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2237

Lack of Internal Talks at Microsoft, Google

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/15/lack-of-internal-talks-at-microsoft-google/