Re: [News] Linux Slowly Becoming a Reality in Turkey

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Kurdish Linux launched in Turkey
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| November 24, 2006
>|
>| Kurdish Ubuntu, a Linux distribution, was launched this week with a
>| reception in Diyarbakir. Ubuntu was the first Linux distribution to
>| implement Kurdish localization
> `----
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Kurdish_Linux_launched_in_Turkey
>
> Recently:
>
> Free Software Period To Begin In Public Organizations
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A new and free software period, which brings the
>| utilization of Linux-based operating systems with open
>| source codes instead of Microsoft's operating systems
>| in computers, will begin in Turkish public
>| organizations.
>|
>| The first application will be performed in the Draft
>| Department of the Ministry of National Defence where
>| Turkey's national software 'Pardus', developed by
>| Scientific and Technological Research Council of
>| Turkey (TUBITAK), will be used as the basic
>| operating system.
> `----
>
> http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=147873

Last year, we were discussing the tipping-point phenomenon.  This is
when adoption of something becomes sufficiently large that the
networking effect is enough to ensure its survival and viability.  To
hit the tipping point, enough influencers need to have made the adoption
decision in order that the networking effect is, well, effective.

There's been huge growth in the number of linux & FOSS vendors and
integrators, with such well-known names as IBM, HP, Dell, Motorola,
Windriver, Sony and many others, able to offer services and integrated
platforms to local and national governments across the world, in countries
including Venezuela, Brazil, France, Germany, Finland, US, Turkey and
many others.

Now the debate needs to be around adoption curves, ROI, exit-costs,
investment rates, stock-market performance.  It needs to centre on the
bugs/kloc, exploits/kloc, cost of security.  It needs to consider who's
training the next generation of FOSS developers, and it needs to
consider who's going to invest in the next generation of FOSS companies.

Penalty for private use.