Re: [News] Windows and Linux Kernels Compared

__/ [ yttrx ] on Saturday 25 November 2006 05:40 \__

>> Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This aims to be the most comprehensive kernel comparison of the
>> | latest most popular Unix style kernel verses the latest most
>> | popular current kernel.
>> `----
>>
>> http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows
>
> Wow.  You know, I have to wonder if microsoft has had a kernel
> programmer of any skill since it lifted the NT kernel from VMS.

Have a look at this.

Painting over the patent earthquake

,----[ Quote ]
| As Microsoft kernel guru Marc Russinovich said two years ago, "The
| two operating systems are very similar from a kernel perspective,
| because as engineers work on problems they look around to see what's
| working elsewhere. So you end up with a lot of similarities".
`----

http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39284804,00.htm

Microsoft is learning from Linux, possibly copying from or learning the
source code as well.

I spotted a comment of yours in Digg by the way. Totally true. That Frank of
CRM doesn't know Linux. He's one of the reporters who just give Linux a kick
for a couple of weeks in order to form some essay. The study/article is
actually like 2-3 weeks old. CRN and their channel partners keep reposting
it with different dates. I had an argument with the author before---one
where he insisted against choice. He opined that Linux should be some
uniform POS like OS X, so in businesses, people should be working like a
bunch of commies.

To illustrate my point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rSLQAqV2Lw&mode=related&search=

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S