Re: [News] Yellow Dig Linux for Playstation 3 Out This Sunday

"Jerry McBride" <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Release of Yellow Dog for PS3 announced
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ...On December 11 you can purchase DVDs from the Terra Soft Store. On
>> | the week of Christmas you can download the Install and Source ISOs via
>> | public mirrors....
>> |
>> | There will also be a database driven help desk available for six months
>> | from the date of purchase for users who choose to purchase Installation
>> | Support and maintain a YDL.net Enhanced account. They've also got
>> | hourly technical support for folks who need assistance with device
>> | driver porting, application development, or cluster design and
>> | configuration.
>> `----
>>
>> http://ps3.qj.net/Release-of-Yellow-Dog-for-PS3-announced/pg/49/aid/73861
>
> Does anyone know of any benchmarks of the new PS3 platform? How about a
> bogomips report???
>
> I've been all over the net and have yet to see some real benchmarks or
> anything concrete...

    Really? I googled "PS3 Linux Benchmark" and I got:
http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/11/playstation-3-performance/

    The take home message is what everyone was predicting: Compiler
technology on the Cell architecture is not as mature as, say on x86, so the
results are disappointing, but should improve as IBM researchers figure out
more optimization tricks.

<quote>
Geekbench [the benchmarking program] also isn't able to exploit the eight
vector processors on the Cell processor. Any program designed and optimized
for the Cell processor should be a lot faster than one designed for a
generic processor (like, say, Geekbench). So while the Geekbench results
might seem disappointing, keep in mind that Geekbench can't exercise the
PlayStation 3 to its full potential.
</quote>

    - Oliver