Re: [News] DRM Under Threat

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 24 November 2006 14:37 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> RSA crypto attack poses threat to DRM
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Security researchers have developed a new approach to breaking the
>>| RSA algorithm that creates new problems for the development of
>>| effective rights management software.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/23/rsa_side-channel_crypto_attack/
>
> I think the best word here would be "good".

Maybe they can put some lipstick on it. *rolls eyes* That ought to fix it now
that everyone is dependent on one lousy set of binaries. This could also
hurt Trusted Computing, making them Swiss cheese to those who have the
necessary Swiss knife. Changing this at this stage would be catastrophic
because it might also involved changing gigs of data files.

This whole scenario of 'dressing up' data with some extra human-hostile
wrapper/layer is similar to what they did in Vista (as Apple did in OS X).
All that fancy-shmancy stuff stands in the way of the user. I would never
use X Compositem for example. Tried it; hated it. A simple nextstep could
facilitate the same functions nicely. Heck, some could even settle for
Darwin (provided it has all that advanced toolbox functionality that's in
KDE), provided there's good use of contrast and good, thought-through
usability. The point of it all being... well, computers are for getting work
done and work rarely involves show and entertainment. Very few of us project
our display/s onto a wall in a shared office. It might be nice to have
entertainment alongside work, but not if it detracts and slows you down. I
suppose this also justifies the use of mutt and slrn, provided that you are
familiar with the interfaces. To use a parallel example from audio, I find
crossfading to be a nuisance. Your PC ain't some radio show. It's solo.
Browsing media with xfaders is extremely annoying, especially if/when the
intervals are long enough to be noticeable.

Oops. I rambled.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S