Re: [News] OLPC's (Linux Laptops) Roll Out in Bigger Numbers

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 24 November 2006 07:36 \__

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Mobile/First_1000_XO_Laptops_Roll_off_the_Assembly_Line_in_Shanghai

>> The OLPC project (and the PS3) can bring Linux to half a billion people
>> within a couple of years, according to the founder of the project. And
>> these are just two channels of distribution...
>
> Interesting point.  How about 100 Million PS3, 500 Million OLPC, 100
> Million linux phones...
>
> The PS3 has to be considered as a serious contender for the desktop.  In
> terms of management, it will be low indeed.

Cellphones are actually gaining a lot of traction. I can vaguely remember a
figure like 1 billion, but whether it was a projection or not, I'm not sure.
Other studies predict that the majority of phones will run Linux and the
makers' commitments (so many of them) seem to suggest it's heading this way.
It's confirmed by the rapid pace that Linux is chosen for mobile devices,
not just mobile phones. So, all in all, half a billion Linux phones within a
couple of years seems like a realistic estimate. The Linux phones have been
particularly popular in Asia and many would  suggest that the role of the
phone is changing (smartphone... 3G... think RIM Blackberry), which probably
explains the fears of proprietary counterparts. Increasingly, people find
that they can get their work done on a train, without lugging some heavy
(and potentially explosive) laptop.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://en.opensuse.org >
Mem:    514480k total,   484488k used,    29992k free,    11968k buffers